Monday, May 31, 2010

More From National Enquirer And Apple



A couple weeks later, I got a note from the editor at the National Enquirer informing me that she was holding another cartoon...this one depicting an Apple computer being presented to an appreciative teacher by a brown-nosing pupil...and a few days later came another letter of acceptance. Heard from Apple's ad agency again, too. I was on my way to becoming a freelance cartoonist! Reprint rights to this one were purchased by a number of teachers' newsletters, as well. (This cartoon is copyrighted by the artist and by the National Enquirer and any unauthorized use is prohibited by copyright laws.)

5 comments:

  1. Tom: Great seeing this post. I miss those olden "daze" when the editor Michelle Cooke was buying cartoons there. Years ago when they were actively buying, I think it was at $300 which in those days was great. I wish I could pinpoint what the demise of the magazine cartoon market really was - there was even dozens (if not hundreds) of company trade magazines (in business, medicine, pharamceuticals etc.) that bought gag panels for $25 up to $50 and much more. Cornering one, or finding a publication where an editor appreciated your cartooning style meant alot. I really don't see much of that anymore - then again, we all have our own special "personal" markets but that is a different tangent. I hope to find new cartoon buyers as time goes on and will visit back here often. Keep posting!

    Cartoons For Web And Print

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by Dan! Yes, Michele was a terrific editor. Fast returns of RJs, fast consideration on holds and fast checks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Tom,
    Your blog looks great already... I love your toons - keep em coming!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh, My!That' s a good one!! apple for the teacher has a new meaning ! XD

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, Pam and Gravity! Hope you'll stop back often!

    ReplyDelete